Saturday, December 19, 2009

How to Save Money Shopping Online in 5 Minutes!

By Robert Pagliarini

Tis the season to negotiate. Your other 8 hours are precious, but if you can save 15% on a big purchase and it only takes five minutes, it’s a great use of your time. If you shop online, here’s how you can save 5%-25% off your purchases by negotiating (and you won’t feel like a schmuck arguing with a vendor at a flea market).

The next time you are shopping online, load up your cart, but before you click “buy,” look for a “chat” or “live help” button. Click it and watch the magic begin. It will open a chat session with a customer service rep. Type that you have a full shopping cart but you are comparison shopping. You’d like to purchase the goods from their company but you want a 15% discount.

Most of the time they’ll initially say they don’t have the authority, but don’t take no for an answer. Ask them to check in with their manager or you will abandon your shopping cart and click over to their competitor.

This won’t work all of the time, but it will often enough to save you some money. Don’t forget, you are an online consumer. You have ALL of the power. It takes milliseconds to jump to their competitor’s homepage.

In other cultures, negotiating is not only expected but is a social custom. To not negotiate is rude. So do yourself and your wallet a favor and spend a few minutes negotiating a big discount on your next online order.

You can read my recent chat session below where I saved a quick 15%:

****************************************************

Thank you for choosing [COMPANY]. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with Christie.

Christie: Hello! How can I help you with your order today?

You: I do a lot of business with the company. i’d really like a discount on my order. can you help me?

Christie: I don’t have discounts to give out.

Christie: We are offering 15% off on Thanksgiving day items. Are you ordering one of those?

You: no

Christie: I’ll be right with you.

Christie: I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll be right with you.

Christie: Thank you for waiting. I’ll be with you in just a moment.

You: if you can do 15% off i’ll proceed. otherwise i’ll order through [COMPETITOR]:

Christie: I’ll be right with you.

Christie: I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll be right with you.

Christie: Thank you for waiting. I’ll be with you in just a moment.

Christie: I’ll be right with you.

Christie: If you go ahead and place your order then give me the order #. I will issue the 15% off.

You: ok

Christie: Did you complete your order?

You: working on it

Christie: Ok.

You: [ORDER NUMBER]

You: do you need anything else?

Christie: Ok I have issued the 15% off. Your new total is [$XXX]

You: thank you again

Christie: Is there anything else I can help you with?

You: goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment